This is a recipe that is beloved amongst my grandchildren – which just brings me so much joy! It’s of the recipes they say is one of their favorites. In comparison to my traditional pancake recipe, there is a little extra work involved in this one with grating the apples, but trust me, it is worth the extra time! – Donna
- 2 1/2 cups fresh milled flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole, raw milk (+ extra to thin as needed)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2-3 peeled, grated apples (I like Granny Smith’s or Pink Lady’s best. But in a pinch I will use any apples I have on hand)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine the wet ingredients (except the grated apples) in a separate bowl. Tip from Mema – whip the eggs separately really well. It adds more “lift” to your pancakes!
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients . Mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix.
- Gently fold in the grated apples. Batter will be thick – thin with milk as desired. The more milk, the thinner the pancake.
- Spoon batter onto the griddle (I prefer to use a 1/2 c measuring cup) over medium heat.
- After bubbles form – flip!
- Remove & enjoy – serve with butter & syrup or fresh fruit syrup.
What if I don’t have fresh milled flour on hand?
No problem! Simply substitute whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
Shop Fresh Flour from White Barn:
Organic Soft White Wheat Flour 2.5 lb Bag
White Barns Organic Soft White Wheat Flour is perfect for your everyday baking needs such as whole grain biscuits, muffins, pancakes, quick breads, cookies, and a whole lot more. It’s easy to remember this flour is used when recipes call for baking powder or baking soda as leavening.
Soft wheat is typically a winter wheat and has a very mild flavor and like our other flours, it’s non-GMO.
All Natural. No Spam.
Join our super cool email list to stay on top of weekly menu’s, seasonal specials, & recipes from the White Barn Crew! Don’t worry, we won’t spam you. We don’t have time for that either.
Stay in Touch!